Thursday, May 18, 2023

100 Faces project - Completed!

 





And just like that... the 100 Faces project is finished. Face 99 is Astrid, Vagn's 10-year old granddaughter. Face 100 is the beloved family dog Churro, who passed away on June 1 last year -- because pets have faces too. 

I made the deadline, finishing within 300 days of the decision to start the project (July 27, although the drawing that became Face number 1 was actually completed some 3 weeks before). I'm not worried about this, since I drew several other people in the process but decided against including them for various reasons. I'll post the rest of the faces in due time, or make a video or composite image of them all.

For the most part I'm happy with the faces that I drew. Even the bad ones were part of the learning process. And this isn't the end for me, either. An unfinished drawing of a man playing a double bass sits in one of my sketchbooks, supposedly Face 99 until I realized I wouldn't complete it in time, given the May workload (and an oil portrait commission, yay!). Other projects have already been set -- 100 hands, 100 ears (where I'm weak), 101 dreams, 1000 people 1000 moments. These have no deadline, and are therefore not strict goals: the names form a filing system of sorts. Without a structure for grouping what I produce, my art tends to go unphotographed, or if photographed, then lost among the thousands of images that I take in a given year. 

So I'm done -- 100 Faces in 300 days. Time to celebrate. I think I'll go out into the garden and smell the lilacs. 

Oh, and below are Face no. 1 and 2.



No comments:

Post a Comment

An Il Vespaio (Hornet's Nest, 1970) blog

I have a new project: a fan blog titled " The Boys of Il Vespaio ", with a subtitle that mirrors this (I ragazzi del Hornet's ...