Monday, December 05, 2022

100 Faces in 300 Days project, part 1

The aim of this project was for me to draw 100 faces in 300 days in my spare time. The cardinal rules: no grids, no tracing, no projectors, no lightboxes. I went out and bought a nice A4 sketchbook bound in black, and have used different materials so far: graphite seems perfect for the paper (Hahnemuhle D&S), but pastel (Rembrandt), charcoal, dry sanguine and sepia seem to work as well. Wax crayon, not so much. The subjects, for the most part, are people I happened to photograph on my travels, off in the margins of the photos. Blurry faces, to which I've added or strengthened detail. The objective was to study bone structure and how the features of a face reflect light. Regarding the ethics of the project, these pictures were taken years ago, when it was more common to take broad shots of a scene and include the people therein. The likenesses are not all that exact, and I doubt the incidental subjects would recognize themselves. I'm at Face 44 to date.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

An Il Vespaio (Hornet's Nest, 1970) blog

I have a new project: a fan blog titled " The Boys of Il Vespaio ", with a subtitle that mirrors this (I ragazzi del Hornet's ...