Saturday, December 10, 2022

Got in touch with Daniel Keller (Hornet's Nest boy actor)

Daniel Keller (left) as Tekko-Paolo and Mauro Gravina as Carlo, Hornet's Nest (Il Vespaio), 1970

Things Bing did in 2022, #20.
Got into an email conversation with my CRUUUSH! My crush when I was 11 and then 12, that is. He was my favorite among the Hornet’s Nest boys – Daniel Keller, playing a character called Tekko in the credits but who is referred to as Paolo in the dialogue. In an attempt to find out more information about the film and its young actors, I sent him a long and heartfelt email – and to my elation, after a few days was rewarded with a reply. You can read about him here: https://www.dan-keller.com/ -- he is a registered nurse, app developer, computer programmer, jazz bassist, fabulous and articulate writer, and so many other things besides. 

I got his permission to use his Hornet’s Nest images, and in turn gave him permission to post our email exchange online. Read our emails on his Il Vespaio webpage (scroll to the bottom) https://www.dan-keller.com/photos/1969-Vespaio/ and check out some fantastic behind the scenes photos and more info about the production from Dan, whose memories were likewise awakened by my questions. (Hornet's Nest on IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065850/ )

Fans of Hornet's Nest will remember him as the "Hey, capitano, give us a cigarette" kid.  Back in the day I wasn’t in the habit of over-thinking, so I just referred to Paolo/Tekko as “cute”. Now I would say it was his mischievous look, his vitality, that got me. The straight, fine, messy brown hair. And the smile. Throughout the film, the boys look mournful, or hard-eyed and dead serious, or laugh and jeer at the enemy. Paolo/Tekko is the only boy who really smiles.

Oh my god, seriously, how many tweens get to meet their movie actor crush, albeit on-line, but fortunately 42 years later (53 years later in his case) at an age when young people are finally able to handle it? 💓

1 comment:

  1. Dan Keller1:19 AM

    Bing -- I am blown away! -- Dan

    ReplyDelete

An Il Vespaio (Hornet's Nest, 1970) blog

I have a new project: a fan blog titled " The Boys of Il Vespaio ", with a subtitle that mirrors this (I ragazzi del Hornet's ...