Sunday, April 23, 2023

100 Faces in 300 days, part 7: Four girls


I've switched to charcoal -- not pencil, but the sticks you break into stubs and hold between thumb and two fingers. Very nice, very tactile. Blended with a finger. 

The first drawing below this text is of Laumi, one of my best friends in high school. Reference was taken at our HS graduation in 1985. Where are you now? We are all looking for you.

Second is Melanie, one of my all-time besties. The reference photo was blurred -- I know I have more pictures of Melanie from our childhood/early adolescence, but darn it, I can't find them. I need to digitize. I didn't get the pretty bump on the bridge of her nose.  Sigh.

Third is Karen, another classmate, from her own reference, which may have been taken in 1988 or 89, from the hairstyle and clothes. The thing with charcoal is that it can resemble those made-to-order mall-art drawings, especially if the person in your reference was shot in a formal studio pose.

The girl with the bangs at the top of the page is me. Lakambini Sitoy, aka Bing. At my high school graduation, the same shot that Laumi appears in. I sleep-walked through the event, smiling so hard my cheeks hurt afterwards. You can't tell -- I look very happy, very pretty, in all the pictures. I was quite nice-looking, back in the day. Youth wasted on the young, maybe. Or just a girl struggling very hard to keep her head above water and make it look effortless, in which case I was the victor. 

I don't think these drawings are exact likenesses. They do resemble the people they are supposed to be, though. I still have a tendency to make faces slightly longer and/or narrower. As a result, Asian or Latin American faces look more European. Never mind. Draw and learn. Besides, if my face looks prettier than it actually was, I can always claim it's not a portrait of me but of imaginary Bing, my double self, though in 1985, she was not just on the way out, but already consigned to a box beneath my bed, abandoned (still trying to decide between boyfriends) as I learned to navigate the real world. 

100 Faces in 300 Days, Faces 85-88, 90.




No comments:

Post a Comment

An Il Vespaio (Hornet's Nest, 1970) blog

I have a new project: a fan blog titled " The Boys of Il Vespaio ", with a subtitle that mirrors this (I ragazzi del Hornet's ...